Key Conclusions: A Technical Evaluation project may be your best option as they are specifically designed to save considerable time and money. They usually provide a clear evaluation of an environmental issue at a commercial site.
Questions to consider are:
Are there any known or perceived environmental issues regarding the subject property?
Have previous Phase 1 projects or Phase 2 subsurface investigations provided any recommendations?
Can a project in the range of $1,000 determine the viability of financing a Property before spending funds for a Phase 1 or 2 project?
A Technical Evaluation project investigates the environmental status and condition of a subject property. These projects could include some or all of the following tasks.
- A technical review of previous Phase 1 and Phase 2 investigations that have been conducted. Have these projects been performed to current standards and do they provide a full evaluation of potential risks and subsurface environmental conditions? Is additional research necessary?
- Are environmental regulatory agency personnel already involved and are there potential agency requirements? Should an agency be involved and if so what is the environmental status of the property? This question is particularly important if the Property is listed as a leak case or if previous subsurface investigation has detected contamination.
- Was the subject property a gasoline station or was there an underground tank? If so a specialized review of resources such as detailed historical aerial photographs can be used determine the location and scope of a Phase 2 investigation. The research can determine the former location and layout of underground fuel tanks and will usually save money in designing a Phase 2 project.
The main purpose of these Evaluations is to determine what additional information is necessary to assess the risk of contamination to a property.
Additional information may be used to
- determine what might be required to resolve an environmental issue for a property owner BEFORE a Phase 1 is ordered
- to determine the necessity of and the required scope of a Phase 2 subsurface investigation.
Recommendation - ERAS recommends that customers allow ERAS to perform initial FREE research of their property or FREE preliminary review of previous environmental reports to determine the applicability of a Technical Review Project.