ERAS performed a Phase 1 investigation for a small commercial office/warehouse building in San Mateo . Building department records indicated that a gasoline service station was located on the Property from 1929 to 1972. Station building plans on file indicated the first set of underground tanks and pump islands were removed and replaced with a new set of tanks and pumps in 1953 in different locations in the same general area. The current building was constructed partly over the former gasoline station improvements.
ERAS performed a Phase 2 soil and groundwater investigation under permit requirements and work scope approval of the San Mateo County Department of Environmental Health (SMCDEH). A total of 6 soil borings were drilled. Soil samples were collected for appropriate analysis under the former USTs, pump island and oil/water separator inside and outside the newer building where the former items could be accessed. Groundwater samples were collected in areas down-gradient of the former USTs and pump islands that were located under inaccessible areas of the current structure. The concentrations of petroleum hydrocarbons were low enough and the investigation comprehensive enough for the SMCDEH to not require additional investigation and the building was successfully financed.
(Client: Michael Barnette, Colliers Parrish)